It's Time to Quit Drinking


 I hesitate to write about this because it is personal and a little embarrassing. But this is America after all. So. . . I've wanted to quit drinking for a long time. I'm a chardonnay drinker who has a few glasses several times a week. I think I over-rely on wine to take the edge off a bad day and to help me become more convivial at social gatherings. While the first glass or two may help accomplish these tasks, they usually lead to a third and fourth glass with the corresponding physical and mental decline. Plus as I've aged, even a single drink in the evening can destroy my sleep leading to pain and suffering the next day. Then there is the increasing amount of research that tells of alcohol's detrimental affect on health. Cancer. Dementia. Inflammation. Bloat. Weight gain. Blood sugar problems. It's a neurotoxin. All of this seems like too much harm for the feeling of a few hours of buzzed relaxation. 

I haven't hit rock bottom regarding my alcohol use, but I do feel that it holds me back and overall has a detrimental affect on my life. Before it gets worse or even continues apace, I want to quit. 

I've tried to quit and before and have for a few days or weeks, but not for much longer than that. Yesterday, I had what I hope will be my last glass of alcohol, if not forever, then at least for a long time. Or even just for today, which is how AA tells you to approach it: for today, I will not take a drink. 

I will post occasionally about how this experiment is going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Bless Richard Simmons