God Bless Richard Simmons



 I have not met many celebrities in my life but have had a few passing contacts with some. In the early 1980's, I was an RA (Resident Advisor) in Birnkrant Residence Hall. As RA's, one of our responsibilities was to plan fun events and outings for the students on our floor. Coordinating these events was not one of my strong suits, but one time I rose to the occasion. Somehow, I arranged for our floor (42 girls) to go to the Richard Simmons Show. The details of how this came to be are lost in the fog of memory, but one bright sunny California day, we found ourselves in his studio audience. If I remember, it was a fairly intimate setting and we were gathered around Richard, sitting on the floor. I wish I could remember more, but the feeling that this was a pretty cool thing to be doing remains.

Now, here is what I do remember. During the show, Richard and perhaps a guest, whipped up some delicious, healthy low calorie treat. When the show concluded, we all milled around the set. Some of us (me) walked over to the food and began partaking of it. Richard came over and smiled. He said, "Oh, you can eat all you want," implying that I didn't have to worry about my weight. For me, I was on the larger side of my lifelong poundage. Richard was so friendly and this was such a kind thing to say. 

So that's my memory of Richard Simmons. May he rest in peace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Time to Quit Drinking