My Dolly Parton
Count me in the all inclusive group of those who loved Dolly Parton, and didn't realize how much until she left us. Or God called her home, as she and I--we--might put it. Dolly seemed like everyone's best friend. I had thought for a long time that she should run for President. She would win and she would be good. It's fun to imagine her on the world stage, negotiating with Putin or Xi. They wouldn't know what to do. Since Dolly's passing, I've been falling down the rabbit hole of watching videos, reading about Dolly, and reflecting on memories.
It was not love at first sight with me for Dolly. I remember seeing her on television in the mid-70's in an especially outlandish wig, thinking that she was rather strange. How could someone want to look like that? Was she for real? Of course, a major part of Dolly's appeal was how real she was behind all the makeup, glittery outfits and wigs. Those were a part of her too, but not the most important part.
Country music hadn't infiltrated my world in the 70's so my exposure to Dolly was limited. But then came the movie, "9 to 5," released in 1980, starring Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Dolly. I was a sophomore at the University of Southern California, making an uneven adjustment to college life. The film was playing at the mall across the street. I was a big Jane Fonda fan and thought Lily Tomlin was hilarious so of course I saw the movie. Not only did I like the movie a lot, but it struck some kind of comforting chord within me (the Dolly factor?) at this confused time of my life and I saw the movie probably 15 times. When I should have been studying or doing more productive things. But still. Dolly, basically playing herself, if she were a secretary, was a delight and I got the full dose of her likability. The scene where she threatens to turn the evil, lecherous boss from a rooster to a hen with one shot from the gun she carries in her purse is priceless.
In the last week, I've read so many of Dolly's funny and true quotes for the first time. My favorite is about Black Lives Matter:
"I understand people having to make themselves known and felt and seen. And of course Black lives matter. Do we think our little White asses are the only ones that matter? No!"







Comments
Post a Comment